Depression may affect every aspect of your life including your sexual lifestyle. It may affect your self-esteem, feelings and you may experience physical fatigue that may lower your libido or sex drive. However, depression may also lead to anorgasmia or trouble having an orgasm. Moreover, with the right treatment you may manage depression and still enjoy a healthy sexual lifestyle. Start by treating the depression, then focus on improving sexual function.
Depression and Sex
You may lose interest in activities you once enjoyed, including sex, due to depression. However, by using depression medicines (antidepressants) it may affect your sex drive or your ability to have an orgasm. A healthcare provider may help you manage both depression and low libido.
What does depression do to you sexually?
- You may experience trouble in having an orgasm (anorgasmia).
- You may have problems of getting an erection (erectile dysfunction).
- You may experience a loss of sexual desire (Low libido).
Depressed person during sex
In a person with depression the sex-related chemicals are out of balance. As a result, you may experience a low sex drive or less sexual desire. However, the low levels of some of these chemicals may also dull pleasurable feelings.
Different ways depression may cause sexual dysfunction
- Inability to experience pleasure.
- Loss of interest in activities.
- Low energy levels.
- Mood swings.
- Reduced self-esteem.
Check up with the doctor
If you think you are experiencing sexual problems because of depression talk to your healthcare provider. In some cases, sexual problems may actually cause depression. Antidepressants (depression medicines) are highly effective in easing depression. However, many of these drugs come with side effects. Moreover, consult with your doctor before taking any depression medication.
How depression and sexual dysfunction are treated?
- The doctor may adjust the dose of an antidepressant.
- Health care provider may change your antidepressants.
- In some case the doctor may stop antidepressants.
Things to do when treating depression without medication
- Dietary supplements.
Ways to prevent sexual problems from depression
- Avoid drugs, alcohol and tobacco, because they can affect sexual function.
- Stay healthy by exercising, eat a balanced diet and also maintain a healthy body weight.
- Communicate honestly with your partner about what you are feeling mentally and physically.
- Ask your healthcare provider to prescribe medication without sexual side effects.
Mens Clinic International deals with any sexual problems that are related to Weak Erections, Early Ejaculation, Low Libido, STIs or Circumcision. Do get in touch with us to book a consultation with our professional doctors who specialise in Men’s Sexual Health.
To read more about sex and mind, click here.